Saturday, September 24, 2016

Snickerdoodles!

I bring cookies to almost every event I go to. I secretly watch and see which ones go the fastest.  Not because I think mine are better than anyone else's, but because I want to know what people like so I can make them again or put that recipe in the round file. So, about a month ago I brought these babies to a youth dance and they went flying off the platter. Kids and adults were grabbing them, then suddenly they were gone. I didn't even get to save one for my friend.  I posted a picture on Instagram and someone asked for the recipe, so I thought I'd put it out there for all to enjoy.  Make sure you give the cookies room to puff up and spread during baking by only putting 12 doughballs on each cookie sheet.  I usually double this to get 6 dozen, so I'd guess one recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies.

(kristine, I give up on the picture for now...I'm doing this on my phone, so for now you can see the pic on Instagram 😂)
Snickerdoodle Cookies

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter (not margarine)
1/2 cup shortening (half of a cisco stick)
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp sugar (additional)

Cream butter and shortening until smooth, then mix in 1 1/2 cups sugar until combined. Add the eggs and mix until everything is well blended.
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Pour into creamed mixture and beat just until it's all incorporated. The dough will be soft and fluffy.
Mix cinnamon and additional sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
Shape dough into 2 tsp-sized  balls and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
Set on silpat lined cookie sheets, 12 per pan (3x4) because they'll spread as they bake.
Bake at 400F for 8-12 minutes, until set. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
You might want to double this recipe because they go fast!


No comments: