Friday, July 23, 2010

Arizona, part 3

I took the kids to Palatki to see cliff dwellings and cave paintings. It was amazing to see them up close and we learned a lot from the Ranger. Andy had a book that explained some of the paintings and he was able to tell us a lot, too.

The Ranger told us that the black cave paintings are just black from soot sticking to the white material they used for painting, not black paint...it was awesome to be so close to the caves.

Then I took he kids to Slide Rock State Park even though they didn't want to go because it "didn't sound like fun". I promised them if they didn't like it we'd leave and we ended up staying for 3 1/2 hours! It was really fun and I even got in the freezing water and slid around with the kids. Too bad Dave was in New York...we missed him. The van temp said it was 103 F outside!

I drove 6 hours with the kids while Dave flew to California, rented a car, and met us at Calico Ghost Town. I love the "used water 10 cents" option for bathing!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: